Friday, March 8, 2013

Snow must make people crazy.

Here's a funny for you.  It's no secret that I'm working to get healthy but I try not to talk about it obsessively at work, etc. unless I'm asked.  The exception to that is my friend Ana - to whom I blabber all day long!  Anyway, part of that is because I'm sure other people don't want to hear it all the time and I work in a shared space. That's one reason I blog - if you want to know, great! -If not, that's okay too.  

Someone did ask me how things were going recently within earshot of some other folks that I know, and I was happy to report my progress.  I was also talking about the minor surgery that I have coming up next week.  (I'll get to those details in a second.)  Well I heard out of one ear the other folks talking (thinking they were whispering) as we were finishing up and here are the key words you need to know:  Angel. I heard. be honest. lap band. gastric bypass. everyone knows.  

I let my friend leave and I piped up and asked - "What's going on? Who's having a lap band?"  -And the response I got kind of shocked me: "Well I heard you say you're having surgery for 'female issues' but isn't it for weight loss? I just assumed it was."  Really dude, you just assumed I wanted/needed to have gastric bypass because I'm fat? Come on.  Oh, and also, I COULD HEAR YOU TALKING ABOUT ME BECAUSE I'M 10 FEET AWAY.  Why would I lie about my medical issues to cover up a weight loss surgery?  Nuts. People are nuts.  So who knows who else they told and what they told them because they seem to enjoy spreading things around.  What is wrong with people? The other thing that bugs me is that they were talking about these surgeries like they are frivolous and that the people who have them are sooooo horrible.  That is so wrong.  First of all, there is nothing wrong with seeking medical help if you truly need it.  I know people whose lives have been drastically improved by lap band and other procedures.  It's also very serious and it's not an immediate fix; and there are many post-operative changes that have to be made in order for things to work out.  I know that something like that is not for me right now, but I don't judge others who do need that option and you shouldn't either.

On to my actual procedure.  I while back I posted that I was checking in to my overall health and that I may have some medical obstacles that would pose a challenge to my quest for a lighter me.  Well first, here's the good news:  My thyroid levels and blood pressure are much improved since October. I am no longer medicated for either issue. 

 (Oh, almost forgot my warning for the men - I'm about to use the words estrogen, menstrual, uterus and cervix now.  Avert your eyes if you can't deal.) 

Here's the bad:  my hormones are nutty, my menstrual cycles are wayyy out of control, and I am making too much estrogen.  We're on the road to fixing that.  After exams and ultrasounds, my doctor discovered lesions in my cervix and lower uterus and those jerks have to get the boot.  I also have developed endometriosis and that jerk has to go too! I have the worse uterus party guests ever.  Next week, the party is over.  My doctor will be doing two procedures (at one time) to take care of all of that.    She'll also send off the lesions and such to pathology to make sure everything's okay.  Hopefully that will help re-start my little estrogen makers and that, combined with continued exercise and weight loss, should help my levels.  It should definitely take care of the daily pain that I've been experiencing for quite a long while.  If all goes well after a few days of rest, I should be back at work and back in the gym getting after it! It seems fairly straight forward, but I'll still gladly take any prayers and good thoughts you'd like to send my way!

Version of Burpee
I didn't weigh in at WW this week - we were snowed in without power. Yuck.  What I DID do, though, was work out in my living room.  Big A called folks out on Facebook and put out a 'workout' we could do at home and he expected us to post our times.  Well with text message support from him, I did it.  The assignment was:  10 sets of 10 (so 100 reps each ) of 5 different exercises- sit ups, push ups, squats, jump squats, and Burpees.  Oh. Dear. Lord.  I did have to modify the Burpee part because I thought was going to die, but I did all 500 reps.  It took me roughly 30 minutes.  I think the fact that it was 48 degrees in our house and I wanted to keep warm helped me through.  I was all excited that I finished and it didn't take 3 hours...until I got the text message from him with his time:  13 minutes and 33 seconds.  Dang. I've got work to do!  I still think it was cool though that a. he even wanted to motivate us on a snow day and b.  he did it too.  Very cool.  By the way, I was the only person that did it that we know of.  

I guess that is plenty for tonight. Too much even.  Have a fabulous weekend everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment