Monday, March 4, 2013

Don't Give Up....Don't Ever Give Up.



As my friend Nita would say.. "So there I was...."  on the treadmill tonight in the gym. My goal tonight was a 30 minute session walking for 45 seconds and running for 1:15 (alternating).  I wasn't really tracking distance tonight I just needed my tired legs to complete a good 30 minutes with no pauses to huff and puff! I was doing well, listening to my secret husbands Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z and watching Sportscenter on the tv.  At 5-10-15-20-25 minutes I felt ok. Tired, but ok.  Then I started to slow down and sweat got in my eye and I said to myself "Self, you're good - go ahead and slow it down and hop off."

Then I looked up at the TV.  ESPN was marking the 20 year date of Jim Valvano's speech at the ESPY  awards.  There was a man who knew he was dying, could barely walk and still he managed to get there and inspire others.  I had to finish the 30! So I kept going and going for those last minutes while I watched the speech.  If Jimmy V can do what he did then, I can shuffle my sausage feet for 4 more minutes.  If you're not a huge sports fan, you may not have ever seen the speech.  You should check it out: http://www.jimmyv.org/about-us/remembering-jim/jimmy-v-espy-awards-speech/ .

We'll see how training and weigh-in goes this week. I feel like I've eaten nothing but carby carbs this past week.


No comments:

Post a Comment