Welcome to my very first blog post! I don't know that any of you will be interested in this, but at least I am. :0) I'll apologize now, because this first post may be a little long. I'll keep them shorter in the future.
In a few days I'll celebrate my 35th birthday. I've been thinking over the past few weeks about what I want for my birthday and maybe what I want to accomplish in my 35th year. I decided on something that shocked even myself a little bit. For my birthday, I want to save my life. I'm too fat for my own good and if I don't finally do something about it I'll die.
How did I arrive at this decision (about 15 years too late, I might add)? Well, looking at my photo, one might think I'd say "Daaaamn girl! You need to do something about your ass!"just by seeing my size. Nope. Or maybe the past three trips to the doctor (throughout the past year) where I saw my weight and blood pressure in black-and-white and should have had a light bulb moment? Nope. Man troubles? Hell no - my husband rocks and honestly loves me in any shape or size. What put me over the edge? One word: CANKLES.
I've never been a small person but have generally been okay with being pleasantly plump through the years. But a few days ago I was in the shower shaving my legs and there they were - looking right up at me laughing "Bwaaahahahaha, we finally got you, you ice cream-eatin' hussy!" I realized that I now have cankles. -Mother-@#$*!&^ cankles! I will not have my legs turned in to stumps! It's on.
It's so funny that my cankle realization is what finally made my brain click. I don't want to be a lump anymore. I work with athletes and fit people every day and I am looking like a chump! I am going to do something about this - for real. I want to be able to run, because I actually like it. I want to be able to shop in more than one store in my hometown. I want to be able to ride a roller coaster or play soccer again, or go out dancing with the girls and not have to worry about my boobs or my butt knocking someone's drink over. In thinking about how to do this, two things are clear: I am addicted to food; and this will not work if I'm not accountable to someone/something other than myself. So - I'm going to blog it. That way, if I'm screwing up, friends and strangers alike can put me in my place and I invite you to do just that. I plan to post at least once a week, but hopefully more, about my goals, progress, and anything else I might find funny, crazy, or interesting along the way.
First goal: honesty. So tonight, as I sit on the couch with the dog having my last date night with my boys Ben and Jerry, I will be (cringe) honest and tell/show something that I hate to look at. Here's the most recent picture I have of myself at my current weight: 287 pounds. Good God did I just type that out loud? I hope Ben and Jerry will be able to live without me. I'm going to do this. Giddy up...
In a few days I'll celebrate my 35th birthday. I've been thinking over the past few weeks about what I want for my birthday and maybe what I want to accomplish in my 35th year. I decided on something that shocked even myself a little bit. For my birthday, I want to save my life. I'm too fat for my own good and if I don't finally do something about it I'll die.
How did I arrive at this decision (about 15 years too late, I might add)? Well, looking at my photo, one might think I'd say "Daaaamn girl! You need to do something about your ass!"just by seeing my size. Nope. Or maybe the past three trips to the doctor (throughout the past year) where I saw my weight and blood pressure in black-and-white and should have had a light bulb moment? Nope. Man troubles? Hell no - my husband rocks and honestly loves me in any shape or size. What put me over the edge? One word: CANKLES.
I've never been a small person but have generally been okay with being pleasantly plump through the years. But a few days ago I was in the shower shaving my legs and there they were - looking right up at me laughing "Bwaaahahahaha, we finally got you, you ice cream-eatin' hussy!" I realized that I now have cankles. -Mother-@#$*!&^ cankles! I will not have my legs turned in to stumps! It's on.
It's so funny that my cankle realization is what finally made my brain click. I don't want to be a lump anymore. I work with athletes and fit people every day and I am looking like a chump! I am going to do something about this - for real. I want to be able to run, because I actually like it. I want to be able to shop in more than one store in my hometown. I want to be able to ride a roller coaster or play soccer again, or go out dancing with the girls and not have to worry about my boobs or my butt knocking someone's drink over. In thinking about how to do this, two things are clear: I am addicted to food; and this will not work if I'm not accountable to someone/something other than myself. So - I'm going to blog it. That way, if I'm screwing up, friends and strangers alike can put me in my place and I invite you to do just that. I plan to post at least once a week, but hopefully more, about my goals, progress, and anything else I might find funny, crazy, or interesting along the way.
First goal: honesty. So tonight, as I sit on the couch with the dog having my last date night with my boys Ben and Jerry, I will be (cringe) honest and tell/show something that I hate to look at. Here's the most recent picture I have of myself at my current weight: 287 pounds. Good God did I just type that out loud? I hope Ben and Jerry will be able to live without me. I'm going to do this. Giddy up...
angel you are an inspiration. you and i need to get together. i think that we could help each other out.
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you dear heart. This is the most wonderful birthday present you could possibly give yourself. We all want to have you around for many more years to come, and by getting to a healthy way of eating and living is a perfect start. BRAVO! I wholeheartedly support all your efforts as you move forward with this!
ReplyDeleteAngel, I am so happy that you have chosen the path to take your life back from food.....I think it's not only fantastic but so inspirational! When I turned 35 I chose to take my life back from cigarettes.....they held me captive for 22 years....and I am still cig free today at 42....I know you can do it. With what I know of you, you are a strong and dedicated person. Food has no chance now that your mind is made up!! And you have an amazing support system! You've got a winning combination and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!! Let me know if you would like to do progression photos....I'd be more than happy to do it for you :) TEAM ANGEL!!! <3
ReplyDeleteJP I'd totally be up for that!
ReplyDelete