Ok, so I said in my first post that I would try to keep it short....not so much yet. I'll learn the art of brevity, I promise. -Just not today. I want to talk about my plan, but first I wanted to talk about my weight again. The actual number. Many of the messages I got when I posted my first entry included phrases like "You're so brave! I can't believe you put your picture and weight out there!" or "I could never tell people how much I weigh!" And until now I'd say the same thing to myself. In school or even when I was trying Weight Watchers way back, I panicked if anyone else got close to me that might see that dreadful number. But here's the thing - I have to not be scared of the number itself anymore. So, I tore the band-aid off. What's really scary to me (other than my current weight) is the fact that the number has been higher than it is now; and how high it could go if I don't do something about it now. So if you think I'm brave, that's cool. And maybe somebody else can be brave too if I can stick with this and show y'all something. On to my plans!
Holy cow! There are so many things to consider with this lifestyle change I'm determined to make. Do I focus on diet not exercise? Vice versa? Which 'diet' do I choose? There's the Caveman Diet, Atkins, Raw Food, Gluten Free, Ketogenic Diet...meat meat meat....no meat! no meat!...potatoes, no potatoes!...vegetarian...vegan...Weight Watchers...monthly fee...weekly fee...on and on...Good Lord, no wonder people give up before they even start!
Here's what I've decided so far: To start, I'm focusing on exercise and simply making better food choices in general instead of starting two hard-core new things at once. I don't think I could deal that way.
Exercise
Burning some calories is going to be my main focus at the beginning. I am not mobile at all! I always have good intentions and I start to walk for a few days and then I find excuses not to do it. I actually worked my way through our local 4-miler training program a few years back, was able to get up to 4-miles (slowly jogging and a little walking if I remember correctly), AND completed the 'dress rehearsal' run prior to the actual 4 Miler race. Guess what - never did the race, and I haven't run since then. Who does that???? -Me, I guess. What a waste.
I have to get moving, find some energy and get some good habits going. I'm finally getting a bike to ride around our neighborhood. I downloaded a neat fitness app for my phone that will guide me through a walking and jogging (when I'm ready) work out using my own music. This way Dave Matthews and Joss Stone can run with me and I'll feel like I have company. I'm also hoping to get the other half of Team Cavanaugh out on the road with me. :0) I am going to take small (no sweat) walks at work at lunch time, etc. My goal is to work my way up to comfortably jogging/running again. This may take some patience because my knees and hips are jacked up from hauling the rest of me around. I also want to, eventually, bike and walk/run around the lake where we live which is almost 11 miles. As long as I feel like I'm actually working and not cheating, I'm not going to put a date deadline on these things. So the walking starts tomorrow...and the pedaling starts when the bicycle gets here. What am I going to name my bike?
Food
I'm not ready to commit to a paid diet service nor do I want to dive head first into a strict new diet program while trying to do new exercise things. I know that about myself. Immediately doing a 180 degree turn will only set me up to get mad and quit when I feel completely deprived. I refuse to fail for the 100th time. I want this on my shoulders - with no 'program' to try and blame if I screw up.
I know it's not the same so don't think I do - but I feel like someone who has made the decision ween him/herself off of pain medicine or something like that. If I slowly back away while making better choices and holding myself accountable, I can more easily transition to a complete diet makeover over time.
My work lunches definitely need a makeover! I will eat out a little less and pack my lunch more. I have to have some sort of vegetable with every meal. No exceptions. I need more water. I need more protein and less bread. I need less sugar and JUNK FOOD (My diet, as much as I try to justify what I eat, is 85% junk food.) I need more natural fruits. To start, I just need to freakin' pay attention to what's going in my pie hole! I am making one 'drastic' change right now: No more soda. I did do this before and I swore I was going to die and back to the Coke I went! Soda is gone! Now! Advil may have to be my best friend for the next few days.
So it's a start! Here we go...
Holy cow! There are so many things to consider with this lifestyle change I'm determined to make. Do I focus on diet not exercise? Vice versa? Which 'diet' do I choose? There's the Caveman Diet, Atkins, Raw Food, Gluten Free, Ketogenic Diet...meat meat meat....no meat! no meat!...potatoes, no potatoes!...vegetarian...vegan...Weight Watchers...monthly fee...weekly fee...on and on...Good Lord, no wonder people give up before they even start!
Here's what I've decided so far: To start, I'm focusing on exercise and simply making better food choices in general instead of starting two hard-core new things at once. I don't think I could deal that way.
Exercise
Burning some calories is going to be my main focus at the beginning. I am not mobile at all! I always have good intentions and I start to walk for a few days and then I find excuses not to do it. I actually worked my way through our local 4-miler training program a few years back, was able to get up to 4-miles (slowly jogging and a little walking if I remember correctly), AND completed the 'dress rehearsal' run prior to the actual 4 Miler race. Guess what - never did the race, and I haven't run since then. Who does that???? -Me, I guess. What a waste.
![]() |
| Lake Monticello - my 11 mile goal |
Food
I'm not ready to commit to a paid diet service nor do I want to dive head first into a strict new diet program while trying to do new exercise things. I know that about myself. Immediately doing a 180 degree turn will only set me up to get mad and quit when I feel completely deprived. I refuse to fail for the 100th time. I want this on my shoulders - with no 'program' to try and blame if I screw up.
I know it's not the same so don't think I do - but I feel like someone who has made the decision ween him/herself off of pain medicine or something like that. If I slowly back away while making better choices and holding myself accountable, I can more easily transition to a complete diet makeover over time.
My work lunches definitely need a makeover! I will eat out a little less and pack my lunch more. I have to have some sort of vegetable with every meal. No exceptions. I need more water. I need more protein and less bread. I need less sugar and JUNK FOOD (My diet, as much as I try to justify what I eat, is 85% junk food.) I need more natural fruits. To start, I just need to freakin' pay attention to what's going in my pie hole! I am making one 'drastic' change right now: No more soda. I did do this before and I swore I was going to die and back to the Coke I went! Soda is gone! Now! Advil may have to be my best friend for the next few days.
So it's a start! Here we go...

I understand!! Got a prescription from my doc for the ACAC PREP program. I need to change. hope I can!! good luck!!
ReplyDeleteThree times I've gotten that little piece of paper. I've never done it. I will do it now! I visit my dr. in December and I hope to be in a better place then.
DeleteI wish I had it in me...but I think I'd need some serious serious antidepressants to cope. Do they prescribe those for fatties trying to lose weight? It should be a law. I've tried just changing my lunches a bit and that has helped some. I've also stopped eating so much fried stuff (even though I love it). I wish you all the luck in the world, friend. I know you can do it! :)
ReplyDelete